How Long Should My Maryland Roof Last?
Whether you just finished paying for Maryland roofing repairs or the installation of a new one, its durability should be a significant concern for you. That applies doubly so for homeowners setting their property up for sale. It is of equal significance to people searching for a new house.
Maintaining the roofs of houses is a massive responsibility for the homeowners. The period of maintenance usually arrives after 30 to 50 years. However, the extended duration of the job and its substantial cost make up for the longevity!
We’d say that it is likely that you’ll spend less on roof replacement if you pay attention to the materials utilized during its construction. The kind of material a contractor uses will determine the sustainability of the roof. However, below, we mention some factors that affect the life of the roof.
High-Quality Roofing Materials
Maryland roof replacement may be achieved with a variety of materials. Even though most of them are easily available, there are factors you must consider before you choose one. For one, the pricing must be within your budget
Secondly, a different life expectancy will influence your decision and choice of material. Below, we mention the predicted longevity for materials commonly used in roofing:
- Slate lasts for up to 100 – 200 years
- Concrete or clay tiles will go on for 50 – 100 years
- Metallic roofing will remain functional for 50 – 80 years
- Wood shake gives you 30 – 40 years
- Asphalt shingles can keep going for up to 15 – 20 years
Weather and Climate
Your roof bears the burden of the weather conditions your home faces. For instance, heavy rain, tornadoes, hail, earthquakes, and hurricanes, etc. all leave their mark! Due to weather, a roof can suffer a lot of damage. Depending on your city climate, you may need to replace your roof sooner than later.
Proper maintenance can affect roof sustainability. You must practice it for an extended life expectancy of your roof. For instance, you’ll need to keep it free of debris. If the gutters get blocked, this can end up creating ice dams. Such dams can badly ruin your roofing shingles and the wooden decking material beneath.
If your roof needs repair, do not delay in calling a local roofing repair company.
Factors that Decrease Maryland Roof Lifespan
A thorough inspection would clarify this quite quickly, provided that you have one carried after every few years or so. For those who aren’t in the habit of doing that, here are some signs:
- Wind storms cause the shingles to come off
- Buckling or curling is visible at the edges of the shingles
- Shingle granules fall off the roof and land in your gutters, as well as, the points where downspouts discharge
- Discoloring of shingles
- Roof boards show water stains
- Water leaks are a common occurrence for you
When to Replace Maryland Roof
Minor issues will go away if you have a roofer come over and repair them. However, in most cases, replacing a worn-out roof is a smarter decision.
How can you tell if the time for replacement is at hand? By looking at the following factors:
- How old it is, i.e., most roofs will generally last for 20+ years. Seriously consider getting a new one if your roof is anywhere near that old!
- It is now past the repair stage, which will be quite easy to tell since you’ll be calling your roofer several times in a month – or more! Whether it is the water leaking from it into your home or the money from your wallet, it is time for a replacement!
- Its appearance is reducing the market value of your home.
- Storm damage is a certainty after a few strong gusts of wind blow in your area.
Cost of Roof Replacement in Maryland
Various factors decide how much you’ll pay for such a job. Those include:
- the size of your roof
- its style of installation
- the materials used
- the layers it will need
- the code requirements for your roof
- the number of skylights, pipes, and chimneys, etc.
Besides longevity and roof repair cost, the aesthetics matter too. Choose the look that you lose your heart to!
Roof replacement cost in Frederick, MD, will only be a one-time price if you hire the right contractors to do the job. Failing that, you will keep paying for smaller repairs that keep materializing after every few days. Our customers know the quality of our work and its longevity brings them peace of mind. Would you like to feel that way too? It is easily done. Contact us for more information at (240) 629-8464 or visit us for a quote!